Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday Feb. 7 - Thankful

We have much to be thankful for today! Derek is breathing without the ventilator and is getting more alert and coherent with each passing hour. He still has a lot of healing to do, but we are praising God to have Derek awake for the fight!

I have to admit that I feel very guarded in allowing myself to take that big sigh of relief that so many feel right now. We are still in the ICU, and there are many unknowns at this point. But God IS smiling on us today...so many blessings and special moments that I wasn't so sure we would ever get to have together again. Thank you all for praying for us and calling out to God on our behalf...Derek is overwhelmed by the love and support.

I've been thinking a lot about the reality that my healthy, strong husband (who never gets sick or weak or beaten by anything) has been on life support for the last 11 days. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how we got here. God keeps bringing to mind that He is our sustainer...Isaiah 46:3-4 "Listen to me...you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you, I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." What hope we have in Him. Life is hard, sometimes very hard, but God has been there carrying us from the beginning...he doesn't just show up when things get tough. I may not see those tubes coming from Derek's mouth to a ventilator anymore...but that doesn't mean he's not on life support. There is a sustaining, carrying, Rescuer upholding us daily that we don't even see!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS